In case you happened to miss it, in 2021 I’ve been working on a new rag rug book and boy has it been a journey. Where my first book “Rag Rugs, Pillows and More” covered the traditional shaggy and loopy techniques of traditional British rag rugging, my new book “Rag Rug Techniques for Beginners” takes on eight rag rug techniques from all across the world, with thirty new projects to suit every level.
Here’s a sneak peek of the front cover of the new book. Incidentally the cover star basket was made using my friend Claire’s childhood curtains!
It’s not every day that I publish a new book, so in honour of launch, I have scheduled a series of exclusive Book Launch Workshops where you can be the first to learn some of the new techniques from the book with me, Elspeth. As well as tutelage and materials, the cost of the class also includes a signed copy of my new book “Rag Rug Techniques for Beginners”, as well as a few launch-worthy special touches.
We currently have the below dates and venues booked for our Book Launch Workshops. Read on below for what will be covered in these classes or book on here.
Book Launch Workshop Dates:
The Village Haberdashery, West Hampstead, London – 8 places
Sunday, 14th November, 2021 – 10:00-16:00
Ragged Life HQ, Hitchin, Hertfordshire – 8 places
Saturday, 20th November, 2021 – 10:00-16:00
Ragged Life HQ, Clifton Terrace, Brighton – 8 places
Sunday, 21st November, 2021 – 10:00-16:00
The Viking Loom, York – 8 places
Monday, 29th November, 2021 – 10:00-16:00
What will be covered in the class?
Our Book Launch Taster Class is designed to introduce you to three of the rag rug techniques from my new book “Rag Rug Techniques for Beginners”. In the workshop, you will learn:
- Coiled rope rugs – whilst making a colourful plant pot cover. Elspeth will then demonstrate how to apply the techniques you’ve learnt to make coiled rope bowls, baskets and more.
- Locker hooking – whilst making a pretty bangle or napkin rings. Elspeth will make sure to cover how to work with rug canvas, as well as how to scale your locker hooking up to larger projects.
- Peg loom weaving – whilst making a practical pot stand. Elspeth will talk you through all her tips on setting up the loom, balancing fabric weights and finishing projects neatly.
Below, you can see some examples of the three techniques covered in the workshop. The projects below are featured in Rag Rug Techniques for Beginners.
What’s included in the workshop?
- All materials used in the class. You will have the option to buy the tools and materials for any of the new rag rug techniques at the end of the workshop if you’ve caught the rag rug bug.
- A signed copy of Rag Rug Techniques for Beginners (RRP £14.99)
- Tea, biscuits and a special surprise.
What do I need to bring?
- Your lovely self
- A packed lunch
- (Optional) Fabric \ old clothing – particularly if you’d like to work with a specific colour scheme or have fabrics with sentimental value that you’d like to incorporate.
The rag rug “twining” technique covered in Rag Rug Techniques for Beginners is a little more involved than some of the other new rag rug techniques, which is why we have chosen to separate it out and cover the technique in a separate full day workshop. This is what the twining technique of rag rugging looks like… (psst, this is one of the projects in my book Rag Rug Techniques for Beginners).
If you are interested in learning the techniques of twining whilst making a pretty pot stand, below are the dates we have available to learn:
Twining Workshop Dates:
Ragged Life HQ, Hitchin, Hertfordshire – 6 places
Thursday, 25th November – 10:00-16:00
Saturday, 22nd January – 10:00-16:00
Ragged Life HQ, Clifton Terrace, Brighton – 6 places
Sunday, 21st November – 10:00-16:00
Book your place here.
p.s. apologies that we currently only have twining classes available in these two locations for the time being. We are easing ourselves in gradually. Please do bear with us.
Right, that’s a brief intro to our special Book Launch Workshops. I can’t wait to teach you. Remember, when they’re gone, they’re gone, so book your place now to avoid missing out.
Can’t make it to the workshop, but interested in the Rag Rug Techniques for Beginners (my new book)? It’s currently available to pre-order on the Ragged Life website here for delivery in mid-November, 2021. Get in there quick as the first fifty orders will receive a free mystery gift with purchase.